WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) has announced the winners of the 2018 Annual Safety Awards, part of an ongoing mission to enhance and recognize outstanding workplace safety. The awards are part of a comprehensive program developed by the AFPM Safety and Health Committee to promote safe operations in the refining and petrochemical industries and to recognize facilities with outstanding occupational and process safety records.
“In our industries, safety is paramount, and nothing is more important to us than the safety of our workforce and surrounding communities. This is why we have established high standards for ourselves, standards that go beyond government requirements,” said AFPM President and CEO Chet Thompson.
Thompson continued, “Because of the commitment of our members, the refining and petrochemical industries rank in the top five industries out of the more than 500 manufacturing sectors that the government monitors. And, we will continue to strive to improve.”
The highest honor, the Distinguished Safety Award, is awarded to the top sites that demonstrate exemplary, long-term safety performance, program innovation and leadership. We proudly bestow this honor on a record seven facilities this year for achieving a sustained, exemplary level of safety performance: ExxonMobil Chemical Company - Baton Rouge Polyolefins, ExxonMobil Chemical Company - Baytown Chemical Plant, LyondellBasell Industries - Channelview Complex, LyondellBasell Industries - Chocolate Bayou Polymers Facility, LyondellBasell Industries - Clinton Complex, Philips 66 - Ponca City Refinery and Shell Oil Products - U.S. Martinez Refinery.
The Elite Gold Award, which on average recognizes facilities with safety performances in the top one percentile and that have demonstrated superior and consistent safety performance, program innovation and leadership, has been given to LyondellBasell Industries - Houston Refinery, LyondellBasell Industries - Matagorda Complex, Philipps 66 - Ferndale Refinery and Phillips 66 - Los Angeles Refinery.
Twenty-one facilities received an Elite Silver Award, which recognizes those sites that have attained top industry safety performance for the application year and demonstrated excellent program innovation and leadership over time. The Elite Silver Award on average recognizes the top five percentile of industry safety:
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP - Cedar Bayou
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP - Drilling Specialties Conroe Plant
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP - Pasadena Plastics Complex
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP - Port Arthur Plant
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP - Sweeny/Old Ocean Facilities
- Delek US - Krotz Springs Refinery
- ExxonMobil Chemical Company - Pensacola Special Elastomers Plant
- ExxonMobil Refining & Supply - Baton Rouge Refinery
- Flint Hills Resources LLC - Peru Plant
- LyondellBasell Industries - Corpus Christi Operations
- LyondellBasell Industries - Equistar Chemicals, LP - Lake Charles Polymers
- LyondellBasell Industries - Equistar Chemicals, LP - Victoria
- LyondellBasell Industries - Morris Site
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Dickinson Refinery
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Martinez Refinery
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation - Salt Lake City Refining Division
- Oxea Corporation - Bay City
- Phillips 66 - Billings Refinery
- Phillips 66 - WRB Refining LP - Borger Refinery
- Phillips 66 - San Francisco Refinery - Santa Maria Plant
- Valero Energy Corporation - Ardmore Refinery
The winners were honored at the 27th Annual Safety Awards dinner in Grapevine, Texas. In addition, to the winners listed above, 26 member companies received 116 Safety Achievement Awards; and twenty-eight associate member companies received 471 Contractor Safety Achievement Awards for their performance in 143 facilities.